Monday, September 8, 2008

Being 1




It is a little sad that summer has already come to an end. We walk outside and see the leaves on the japanese maple turning brown, it' s almost too cold to go the warm pool at Simpkins, and ......... school has begun. Of course for Alistair that means 3 hours on Friday mornings.......but it is still a sign that fall has arrived and babyhood is waning.
I am so completely enjoying every stage of his being, revealing himself as a sweet and sensitive little boy. The other day we had a moment when his friend Vaughn was over. Vaughn is the most solid baby I have ever met, and incredibly resilliant. But on this particular morning, in his exhuberance at being a newfound walker he went straight into the door frame and let out a wail. I ran to comfort him and as I sat on the floor with Vaughn in my arms I looked over at Alistair who had a very disturbed expression on his face. I knew it was a mix of concern for Vaughn, and confusion tward me for caring for this other baby. So to ease the moment I said to Alistair. "Ali, Vaughn bumped his head. I think he needs some snuggles. Would you like to help me snuggle him?" And Alistair ran to his little toy bin and picked out his stuffed teddy bear and brought it to Vaughn...........I think I wiped a tear from the corner of my eye.

No comments: