Thursday, August 16, 2007

Getting The Cut




Ali is officially 1 week old today. He has already gained back his birth weight. I would like to say I have lost mine but alas it took me 9 months to gain it so...

Yesterday we took him to get circumscised. I have to tell you, it was actually not as traumatic as I would have thought. I guess I kind of imagined he would somehow "know" we had chosen this for him and instantly become psychologically damaged from this reality, scorning us as parents and no longer living in the belief that the world is a safe place. But he's a baby. And I continue to be floored by their resilience. He did cry, real tears in fact, and so did I. It wasn't all peaches. But, he was consolable and smiling and breastfeeding within 10 minutes of the snip. I think the toughest part about the whole ordeal is seeing his little swollen pee-pee with the blood soaked gauze every time I go to change his diaper. And yet he smiles and coos and stares out the window as I change him so the trauma for him must be over now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! He looks a lot like Greg in that first picture. I'm glad he is enjoying Henry as much as Bijou did. I hope Henry can make bath time fun!!!